Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gone for a Week

I only went to Atlanta... for training for the company I work for. I learned things I never wanted to learn, but learn them I did. It will look good on my review for next year if nothing else.

While I was gone, the Space shuttle separated from the International Space Station (ISS), for the very last time. It left orbit after a day and landed back at not only it's former home, but it's future home, as it will be on display at the Kennedy Space Center after it has been stripped of anything technical (secret stuff). After that, it will be placed on a static display, where it will most likely be climbed all over by kids with sticky fingers, re-hydrated, dehydrated ice cream will be dripped all over it, chewing gum stuck on the floor, bird shit all over the windows.... not a fitting end for a great Space Ship.

Hopefully they will put it in a building, where it can be preserved and studied by future Astronauts.

OK NASA... you're up.

What is the new amazing piece of space hardware that will woo the crowd and once again leave them breathlessly awestruck?

Who knows, but what would really impress me would be this. Go back to the moon NASA. I think there's stuff there to be discovered. While you're there, how about building a space ship factory, that could launch rockets from the moon on a sled.... it might not cost 600 billion dollars for every launch...

Now THAT would impress me...

No comments: